Wednesday, July 20, 2005

YOUR LIFE'S PURPOSE

Many times I have spoken to you of our society entering a new era of "Enlightened Capitalism". It is truly amazing what happens when you begin to live your life "On Purpose", whatever that "Purpose" is. I began this journey of seeking what my true purpose was about thirty-five years ago. At that time, I was the Executive Director of Big Brothers. I truly believed that my purpose was to spend the rest of my life in service to fatherless boys. Ten years later I found myself receiving a plaque of appreciation for my ten years of devoted service and at a teary farewell dinner, I said goodbye to the big brothers, little brothers, and staff in attendance. The next month I was buying Canada's first Decorating Den franchise with my ex-wife. But that's just the beginning of the story.

This was another milestone in my personal journey towards discovering who the real Allan Holender was. If he stood up I wouldn't recognize him. Amongst the pages of "Buddha in the Board Room", you will learn of the many coincidental and serendiptous events that have dotted my landscape since I was about 13 years old. The number of moments of divine intervention are too numerous to mention. They took me full circle to where I am today. After years of psychic healing, re-birthing, past life regression, rolfing, EST, Context Training, psychotherapy, and native chanting I have finally arrived at the beginning of what my new life will look like, and I'm not just trying to fix up my old life.....the fact that I will celebrate my 64th birthday in October is itself a miracle. So as Churchill once said: "This is not the end, It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

It was during my work with Big Brothers that I met, Jon-Lee Kootnekoff, the former head coach of the Simon Fraser University Basketball team. John was an intense, competitive individual then who believed that life was all about winning. One night he collapsed at courtside during a game, was taken to the hospital, and while recuperating he experienced a revelation that would change his life forever. Now this was not a "religious" experience, nor was it a self induced shot of awareness, this was best described as an "awakening".

He truly got what he was supposed to be doing, and it wasn't coaching basketball. Jon has spent all of his life since then empowering individuals to take control of their own personal journey, through words, study, meditation, and a belief in a higher source. If we allow it, that higher source directs us , if we just get out of the way. You know the old expression: "If you want to make God laugh, tell him you have a plan". Let's hope you dont have to collapse, have a massive heart attack, get cancer, or wind up in a wheelchair to experience the awakening, as to what your real "PURPOSE" is.

Jon, was known in those early days as "Kooky Koot". Little did he know that 35 years later his theories would become mainstream in a movement known as "New Age".
These were some of John's quotable quotes: "When you're green you grow". "Don't rush the great ones". "Be quick but not in a hurry". "You are not aging you're just "youthing"!

As my first mentor, Jon inspired me to look at life in a different way than how I was brought up to believe by my parents, my teachers, my religion, and indeed the world. The world was not ready for "Kooky Koot" 35 years ago, but boy are they ready today. So, one of the people I will be dedicating my book to will be Jon-Lee who would always greet me on the phone with the same positive message: "How you vas Tavaresh (Russian for friend), it's good to be seen by you, you are a very special, great guy!"....how do you think the rest of your day goes after hearing that. Imagine your parents, your teachers, your boss, your friends telling you that every day of your life. What kind of a person do you think you would become. I can guarantee you that you won't be joining a Hell's Angel gang.

So I'll let these thoughts ruminate with you as I head off to the phone book to look up an old friend I haven't spoken to in about ten years, "Kooky Koot".

Buddha says: "Abandoning what is unwholesome, you ought to ponder what is wholesome, for that will bring you advantages in this world and help you to win the highest goal."

BuddhaSpeaksBiz

No comments: